Who We Are
The Next Step is an important ministry of The Basilica of Saint Mary, Minneapolis, MN. The Next Step provides mentoring, networking, resources, direction, goal setting, and, financial assistance.
The mission of The Next Step is to provide mentoring and advocate services to those needing assistance in taking "the next step" in improving their life situation. The Next Step:
Provides support to our clients through networking with other agencies and resources in the Twin Cities
Provides mentoring, direction and goal setting for clients as they work through their life issues
Provides financial assistance as needed
The Next Step was founded in September of 2007 by a group of friends who wanted to "make a difference" by contributing financial resources and providing mentoring and advocate services to those needing assistance. The Next Step members come from varied backgrounds including experience in medical, business, nutrition/health and social service fields.
Examples of Assistance
Assistance provided has included help with life skills, financial help with education, job training, after-school programs for children, occasional bill payments, and finding appropriate community resources.
- Mentoring and some financial support to a single mom with five children. Support included help with after-school and summer programs for her children
- Worked with a client who had been unemployed for a long time. Helped upgrade her computer and reading comprehension skills so she could get into a job training program at Twin Cities Rise. She is now employed and has moved into permanenet housing.
- Mentored and provided some financial support for homeless/near-homeless college students.
- Assisted a client who recently lost her husband navigate through paperwork, obtain financial assistance, and access a pension due to her. We also helped her get on a public housing list and into a Goodwill/Easter Seals job training program. She is now employed.
- Located a Philippine birth certificate for purposes of identification.
- Assisted a parent in selecting Minneapolis Children's Hospital to help diagnose a disability. We also helped her find appropriate community resources to help and locate furnishings for the home.
- Advocated for clients with legal issues through court proceedings.
Single Mom with Five Children
I am the proud mother of five children. Before coming to the Next Step, I ran into some road blocks that left me thinking there are no places, or anyone who could help me with my situation. I was referred to The Next Step for some resource help. After getting this help, I thought this was the end of the support. I was proved wrong. The Next Step members are Understanding, Loving, Humble, Patient, Supportive and Wise. My family loves this group. They listen to us, support us and give us sound advice. Thank you, Next Step, for all you do!
The Next Step Cares! I was a struggling student with very limited resources, with financial stability being the biggest obstacle. I was at the brink of homelessness…. When I met the Next Step, they did everything humanly possible to make sure my future is a bright one.
Unemployed Mom and Grandmother
When I first met the Next Step, I was sitting in a black hole with nothing to hold on to. Then God sent me angels in the form of the Next Step so I could have a second chance at life. The Next Step opened the doors for me to Twin Cities Rise which has been an amazing life changing and empowering experience for me. In addition, The Next Step keeps me focused on my personal affairs such as my health and financials.
For more information, contact Nancy or Mary Beth.