Receiving the Gifts of the Spirit
We are so glad you have chosen The Basilica to begin your son or daughter's preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
We incorporate preparation for confirmation into our ongoing faith formation classes throughout Grade 9 and 10. Students attending a Catholic high school may choose to participate in the confirmation-only meetings and classes. Confirmation is celebrated at The Basilica of Saint Mary during the Easter Season. Families also must be members of The Basilica.
- Mandatory parent/sponsor/candidate meeting in October
- Five candidate meetings that take place during regular youth classes throughout the year
- Monthly candidate/sponsor conversations arranged by the candidate and the sponsor
- Half-day candidate retreat
- Family discussions using materials we provide
- Attendance at a Rite of Sending during a spring Mass
For more information or to get involved in the youth confirmation program, please contact Kelli Kester.
Role of the community
“The Confirmation candidates need the community’s prayers, witness and support throughout the preparation process. In offering catechesis to the parents and sponsors, the Church shows its love for and eagerness to support them as well as their children.” – National Catechetical Directory #117