Coming to the table for the first time
We are excited that you will be celebrating your child’s First Eucharist with us. We hope you find the experience fruitful and enriching to your own faith life.
The celebration of the Eucharist is at the heart of the life of the Church. The Christian community gathers to celebrate the mystery of God’s love as it is revealed in the sacred Scriptures and in the sacrificial meal. Those who gather are fed by the Word and by the Body and Blood of Christ.
Children celebrate the sacrament in its fullness and receive Communion for the first time at a special celebration of the Eucharist during the season of Easter.
We ask that all families who will been enrolling a child in preparation for First Eucharist also enroll in preparation for First Reconciliation.
- Children in 2nd grade or age 7 and older are invited to prepare for First Eucharist.
- Preparation involves home activities and parent-child sessions.
- Children must be active participants in children's Learning Programs or attend a Catholic school.
- Children must be registered members of The Basilica.
- Parents are required to attend a parent meeting in January.
Contact Ben Caduff, 612.317.3435 for more details.
The role of the community
First Communion candidates and their families are supported throughout this process by the prayers, example and faith of the community. In turn, the community’s faith is strengthened by the witness these children bring with them in their desire to received Jesus into their hearts.