New umbrellino or ombrellino

Art That Surrounds Us: Ombrellino

In our weekly video series "Art That Surrounds Us," Johan van Parys, Ph.D., our Director of Liturgy and Sacred Arts, shares information about a piece from The Basilica of Saint Mary's art collection.

On February 1, 1926, Pope Pius XI bestowed the title of Minor Basilica on what was then known as the Pro-Cathedral of Saint Mary. The symbol of a half-opened umbrella, known as an ombrellino or umbraculum, is a symbol for a basilica with historical roots. This week, Johan shares more about these roots and our newly commissioned ombrellino, which was blessed by Archbishop Bernard Hebda on Easter.

 

 

 

Blessing of new Umbrellino
Photo provided by: 
Mae Desaire

 

 

 

 

 

Categories: 

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
4 + 0 =
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.