- Catholic Charities "Higher Ground" Shelter Meal -- Four times each month Basilica volunteers serve an evening meal to approximately 200 men in emergency and "pay for stay" shelter. The Higher Ground shelter, constructed in 2012, is located near the Minneapolis Farmer's Market at 165 Glenwood Avenue, next door to the Catholic Charities Glenwood and Evergreen apartments.
- Catholic Charities Opportunity Center Meal -- On the second and fourth Saturdays of each month, Basilica volunteers cook and serve lunch to guests at the Opportunity Center, a downtown Minneapolis day-shelter for men and women. Located on the corner of 17th and Chicago Avenue, approximately 200 people are fed with each meal, which is funded by donations to the Basilica.
- Sandwich Ministry — Seven days each week, the Basilica provides sandwiches and coffee to rectory visitors who are hungry. These are often our neighbors who are homeless and staying in shelters or outside our campus near the Basilica.
- Loaves and Fishes — On the fourth Friday of every odd numbered month, Basilica volunteers partner with the local non-profit organization "Loaves & Fishes" to cook and serve a meal for those faced with the challenges of hunger in North Minneapolis.
- Families Moving Forward (FMF) — A program of Beacon Interfaith Housing collaborative, a Twin Cities effort that, together with a network of faith communities, provides temporary, emergency shelter to families without housing. Starting in June 2022, The Basilica will be hosting familes in partnership with Plymouth Congregational Church at their facility. Hosting weeks for 2022 will be the weeks of June 19 and August 7. Volunteers will be needed to provide meals and lead actvites such as arts/crafts, bingo, etc.
Contact Julia Buege Freeman, 612.317.3413, for information or to volunteer with one of our programs.