Mentoring, Achieving, Growing
The Hennepin Connections Mentorship Program provides mentors to students who have experienced homelessness or poverty, in order to provide support and encouragement to reach personal, academic, and career goals. The Basilica SVdP Mentoring Program works with Minneapolis Community & Technical College.
The goal of Hennepin Connections is:
- To expand student’s network for career development
- To expand student’s opportunities for success
- To provide scholarship at program completion
Mentoring is a structured, one-to-one relationship that focuses on the needs of mentored participants. Mentoring:
- Fosters caring and supportive relationships
- Encourages individuals to develop to their fullest potential
- Helps an individual to develop his or her own vision for the future
- Is a strategy to develop active community partnerships
Mentoring is not a one-size fits all proposition.
- Every person who would benefit from a mentoring relationship has individual needs. Effective mentoring programs offer enough flexibility to help meet each mentee’s personal needs, yet allow mentoring relationships to flourish within a safe structure.
Hennepin Connections Students:
Qualities of Strong Student Applicants include:
- Students actively engaged in class, enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits at beginning of the year.
- Students who show a commitment and desire to move forward in life.
- Students who can set, share, and implement educational and career goals.
Student Application Process:
Any Minneapolis College Student interested in joining the Hennepin Connections Mentoring Program should begin by emailing Janice Anderen to receive on-line application.
- Application process will be explained and implemented--wtih acceptance into the Hennepin Conenctions Mentoring Program completed by mid-summer 2022.
Becoming a Hennepin Connections Mentor:
The process of orientation, training, and support for becoming a Hennepin Connections mentor includes:
- One-on-one interview with Basilica staff
- Completion of background check and Virtus Training
- Participation in a Poverty Simulation Experience
- Participation in training and orientation sessions
- Participation in three large-group sessions throughout the school year, with all mentors and all students
- Commitment to connect with student every week, at least two times a month in person
- Participation in Mentor Reflection Meetings three times throughout the school year
If you are interested in becoming a mentor for Hennepin Connections, contact Janice at 612.317.3477.
Overall Program Description:
- This program is designed to focus on students who have, or have had, experiences of homelessness or poverty.
- This program is designed to help Minneapolis College Students fulfill their educational goals, to enable them to successfully achieve their career goals.
- This program is not a religious program. While the mentors are from The Basilica, the student and mentor will connect on issues relevant to the student.
- This program is inclusive of all students’ backgrounds and faith affiliations.
- The Student will be matched with a Basilica Mentor by the faculty and staff of MCTC.
- The mentoring partnership will last for one full school year at MCTC, from Fall through Spring semester.
- The mentoring partnership will be based on shared interests, career similarities, or other goal orientation similarities.
- The student will guide the agenda of the meetings.
If you are interested in mentoring, or being part of the program, contact Janice.
Pathways Faith Based Life Skills Program
You can make a positive change in your life!
In just 10 sessions with Pathways Faith Based Life Skills classes, you’ll learn valuable skills that help you embrace the power of change.
All are welcome! No registration required.
- Thursdays 6:00-7:30pm in the school, lower level, room LL7
- Contact Julia or call 612.317.3413
- Volunteer with us and help us change lives through Pathways!
Make a positive change in your life in just 10 weeks!
- Personal Presentation
- Healthy Relationships
- Goal Setting
- Health and Wellness