Angels Unawares Opening Celebration
Sunday, August 1 at 3:00pm
- Native Rituals of Smudging, Song and Drumming by members of The Church of Gichitwaa Kateri
- Introduction to the Sculpture by Johan vanParys
- Message from Kelly Sherman-Conroy, a Native theologian of the Oglala Sioux Tribe,MN Council of Churches Board Member, and Minister of Justice and Advocacy in the ELCA
- Migration Story by David Lawrence Grant, playwright and author
- Migration Story shared by Jaylani Hussein, Executive Director CAIR-Minnesota
- Migration Story shared by Lucero Arellano, Latino Ministries of Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneaplis
- Migration Story shared by Veena Iyer, Executive Director of Immigrant Law Center
- Message on Immigration Today by Michele McKenzie, Deputy Director of The Advocates for Human Rights
- Music by Walter Tambor and Basilica musicians
- Kalpulli KetzalCoatlicue Aztec Dancers
Angels Unawares is a bronze life-size sculpture created by Timothy Schmalz depicts a group of migrants and refugees from different cultural and racial backgrounds and from diverse historic periods of time. They stand together, shoulder to shoulder, huddled on a raft. This incredible sculpture will be at The Basilica on the plaza throughout the month of August 2021.
Please consider joining us for some important moments of celebration and learning, as we engage with this sculpture.
Look for more information on mary.org/angelsunawares.