You are here
Due to snow and slippery conditions, the following Basilcia progrmas have been cancelled for Thursday, January 8:
- BYA Bible Study
- Mental Health Ministry Film Festival showing of Running From Crazy
- Employment Ministry "Discover your Best Skill"
Pathways and Employment Ministry's Discover Your Best Skill class will continue as scheduled.
Due to extreme cold weather conditions, the following Basilica programs have been cancelled for Wednesday, January 7.
- Evening Children's Ministry
- St. Vincent de Paul team meeting (12:40-2:15pm). SVdP Outreach will be open as scheduled.
Basilica offices will remain open and 7am and 12nn Mass will be celebrated in the Saint Joseph Chapel. Please use caution before venturing out.
The Basilica offices will be closed in observance of the New Year's holiday on Wednesday, December 31, 2014 and Thurday, January 1, 2015. A vigil Mass will be celebrated in the main church in anticipation of the Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God at 5pm Wedneday, December 31. The Mass for the Holy Day of Obligation will be celebrated in the main church on Thursday, January 1 at 10:00am.
Thank You for Giving Joyously and Generously…
During this season of giving and thanksgiving we would like to recognize the generosity of our community. The spirit of The Basilica is strong because so many people believe in it and actively support it with their time and financial contributions.
As we look ahead to The Basilica’s future, we plan for growing programs, ministries, and outreach. We plan for all of our members to continue to find support and opportunities to grow spiritually. We plan for beautiful music, inspiring liturgies and hospitality. All of this and so much more are possible because of your generosity.
People give for many reasons: the feeling of making a difference, a sense of Christian responsibility, or the feeling of belonging to a great Catholic community at The Basilica. Maybe someone you respect asked you to give. Maybe you give to make the world a better place. But what ever the reason we thank you - The Basilica would not be the same with out your help.
Year End Giving…
We are so grateful for your financial support throughout the year. If you are able please prayerfully consider these holiday giving opportunities
- Make a pledged financial commitment to The Basilica for 2015. Your pledged commitment helps us budget for the coming year. Pledge forms are at the back of church, or pledge online.
- Consider a special Christmas gift to The Basilica. Beautiful music, incense, candlelight, and special prayers all make Christmas at The Basilica a moving experience. Your special gift helps us provide a meaningful Christmas for thousands of members and guests. Christmas envelopes can be found in the pews or you can donate online.
- Make a year end gift of stock, bonds or mutual funds. Please contact Audra Johnson or 612.317.3422 for more information.
You may also contact Tim DeCelle or 612.317.3472 for answers to any questions you may have about supporting The Basilica. Your contributions are greatly appreciated!
PLAN YOUR VISIT: CHRISTMAS AT THE BASILICA
We look forward to seeing you at The Basilica for Christmas this year. To make your visit easier, please consider the following tips and tricks.
There are a variety of parking options in and around The Basilica.
- North 17th Street. This street will only be accessible to northbound traffic. You cannot turn left onto N 17th St. from N 16th St.
- Minneapolis Community and Technical College Parking Ramp located on the east side of The Basilica offers no-cost parking from 2:00pm on Christmas Eve through Christmas day. Access to the ramp is located off of Laurel Ave.
- Parking lot under the 394 freeway bridge on the west side of The Basilica.
Cowley lot on 16th and 17th Streets, and as marked on The Basilica campus. Please display your permit.
Mass schedules available here.
At The Basilica during Christmas, the scent of evergreen fills the air, gold ribbon glitters in midnight candlelight and flowers adorn this holy place.
We ask your help in creating a sacred space where joy dances in the eyes of young and old, where memories of loved ones past and present are evoked and well up in our hearts, where Christ – God with Us – dwells.
Any tribute gift received by December 12 is listed in the Christmas leaflet. You can give online at here.
Thank you for your support!
In accordance with our ongoing effort to pursue ecumenical and interfaith relationships, The Basilica of Saint Mary is proud to welcome back the National Lutheran Choir for their Christmas Festival Concerts Dec. 12 and 13.
Immerse yourself in the beauty and majesty of the Basilica of Saint Mary for the National Lutheran Choir’s signature Christmas Festival Concert. During this busy season of parties, shopping and rushing around, take time to reflect upon the true meaning of Christmas through sacred song, poetry and readings.
When: Friday, December 12, 2014 – 4:30pm & 8pm
Saturday, December 13, 2014 – 8pm
Where: Basilica of Saint Mary
88 N 17th St, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Tickets: $28 Adult - $25 Senior - $10 Student
17 and under FREE
For tickets or more information:
Call (888) 747-4589
Shop ethically this Christmas and ensure your purchases provide fair wages and safe working conditions for the artisans and farmers producing the items. Join us in the Teresa of Calcutta Hall on The Basilica's Lower Level this Sunday, December 7, from 8:30am - 6:30pm to shop our annual Fair Traded Market. Local vendors who work with global communities will be on hand with soup, olive oil, coffee, weavings, mittens, scarves and much more.
The Basilica of Saint Mary strives to provide excellence in ministry by providing ministries that are inspired by the Gospel and are relevant in our day. During the unique season of Advent in which we observe a spirit of patience and waiting for the coming of the Messiah, The Basilica hosts many events to encourage prayer and participation, some of which are listed below. All advent events can be found here.
Tuesdays and Thursdays starting December 2 through Christmas, 9:15am in the choir stalls, The Basilica
Eucharist with the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick
Sunday, December 6, 10:30am on The Basilica’s ground level, in the Saint Joseph Chapel
Joy to the World: Crèches from Around the World
This Nativity scene exhibit runs December 6-January 15, on The Basilica’s lower level in the John XXIII gallery and Teresa of Calcutta hall. Discover the uniqueness of our universal Church through various representations of the manger scene.
Advent Learning Series
Sundays, December 7, 14, and 21, 11:00am-12:30pm in the Wagner room of the Cowley Center
Program led by Dr. Charles Bobertz and Rabbi Marcia Zimmerman. During Advent, we celebrate in joyful hope the coming of the Jesus Christ into our lives. Historically, Jesus came into our midst two thousand years ago, and now as we live out our lives, we encounter Jesus frequently in many forms. However, as we live each day, we wait for Jesus to come again at the end of time. Our Jewish brothers and sisters are also waiting for the Messiah. Their prayers and way of life reflect the virtue of waiting. This series explores this patient virtue and the ties between faiths. Register online by December 4 or call 612.317.3414. Scholarships are available for this $20 series.
Solemn Vespers for the Season of Advent
Sunday, December 7, 14, and 21, 3:00pm in the Basilica choir stalls
Led by The Basilica Schola Cantorum, come and pray for the arrival of the Messiah with us at the close of day.
Taizé with Opportunity for Individual Confessions
Tuesday, December 16, 5:30pm, The Basilica’s lower level
The Basilica offices will be closed in observance of Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday, November 27 and Friday, November 28.
Thursday, November 27, 2014:
- Eucharist will be celebrated at 8:30am in the main church.
- An Interfaith Thanksgiving Service will take place at Temple Israel (2324 Emerson Ave S, Minneapolis) at 10:00am. The Reverend Dr. Jim Gertmenian of Plymouth Congregational Church will preside.
Friday, November 28, 2014:
- Eucharist will be celebrated in the Saint Joseph Chapel at 7:00am and 12:00nn.
- Volunteers will ready the church for Advent.
The Basilica Staff would like to wish you all a blessed and thankful holiday.