Baptism for Infants & Children age 6 and younger
Preparing to become Catholic
We welcome all parents. Birth and adoptive parents. Couples and single parents. Parents with infants and those with children already exploring the world. Parents whose faith is strong and those just beginning to make it their own. Families who share the same religious background and those who celebrate different religious traditions.
“Since the earliest of times baptism has been administered to children, for it is a grace and a gift of God that does not presuppose any human merit; children are baptized into the faith of the Church. Entry into Christian life gives access to true freedom.” —Catechism of the Catholic Church #1282
To prepare for baptism, parents must -
- Attend a two-hour baptism preparation class.
- At least one of the parents must be a registered member of The Basilica of Saint Mary.
- If you are not a registered member of The Basilica, and are interested in having your child baptized here, please contact Sr. Jill Laszewski.
Baptisms are celebrated monthly, approximately nine times per year at a 1:30pm Sunday Eucharist. Please note that baptisms are not celebrated during Advent or Lent.
Purpose of the Preparation Class
Attending a preparation class helps parents:
- Participate more fully and consciously in your child's baptism.
- Explore each parent’s role in the formation of children.
- Understand the vision of the family as the domestic Church.
- Reflect on your own journeys of faith and the responsibility in sharing your faith with your children.
- Meet and interact with other families in the parish and strengthen ties to the community
- “Be affirmed in their role as "primary educators" of their children” (National Catechetical Directory, #212).
- Receive prayer and support from the parish community.
- Understand the "practicalities" of the Baptism celebration.
Classes are held on Tuesday evenings or Saturday mornings approximately nine times a year. Parents and godparents are welcome to attend. Nursery is available, with advance registration.