Receiving the Gifts of the Spirit
We are so glad you have chosen The Basilica to begin your son or daughter's preparation for the sacrament of confirmation.
We incorporate preparation for confirmation into our ongoing faith formation classes throughout Grade 9 and 10. Students attending a Catholic high school may choose to participate in the confirmation-only meetings and classes on Saturday mornings in Grade 10. Confirmation is celebrated at The Basilica of Saint Mary during the Easter Season.
- Mandatory parent/sponsor/candidate meeting in October
- Six candidate meetings that take place on Saturday mornings throughout the year
- Monthly candidate/sponsor conversations arranged by the candidate and the sponsor
- Confirmation candidate retreat
- Family discussions using materials we provide
- Attendance at a Rite of Sending during a spring Mass
For more information or to get involved in the youth confirmation program, please contact Christine Moore.
Parish Policies for Sacraments
- All families celebrating sacraments at The Basilica of Saint Mary must be registered member of the parish.
- Youth must participate in weekly classes, or be enrolled in a Catholic school, the year before AND the year in which they are to receive the sacrament,and attend Mass on a weekly basis.
- The preparation is a combination of regular, weekly classes at The Basilica and additional sessions specific to the sacrament of confirmation; classes may require both the youth and his/her parents to participate.
Our program runs from September to May. Registration is from April through September. Registration is now online.
If you join The Basilica after our program year starts, we still warmly welcome you to enroll your children for the balance of the program year.
Role of the community
“The Confirmation candidates need the community’s prayers, witness and support throughout the preparation process. In offering catechesis to the parents and sponsors, the Church shows its love for and eagerness to support them as well as their children.” – National Catechetical Directory #117