Inviting Children to Their First Confession
We welcome families into the process of preparing your child to celebrate the beautiful sacrament of reconciliation. We hope everyone finds the experience fruitful and enriching.
First Reconciliation preparation for families with children age seven (Grade 2) and above is offered once a year. The sacrament is celebrated in November or January. Children must be active participants in faith formation programs at The Basilica, or be enrolled in a Catholic school.
- A parent meeting in October
- Parent-child activities to do at home
- A parent-child retreat
Contact Christine Moore at 612.317.3439.
Parish Policies for Sacraments
- All families celebrating sacraments at The Basilica of Saint Mary must be registered member of the parish.
- Children must participate in weekly classes, or be enrolled in a Catholic school, the year before AND the year in which they are to receive the sacrament,and attend Mass on a weekly basis.
- The preparation is a combination of regular, weekly classes at The Basilica and additional sessions specific to the sacrament; classes may require both the youth and his/her parents to participate.
Our program runs from September to May. Registration is from April through August. Registration in now online.
If you join The Basilica after our program year starts, we still warmly welcome you to enroll your children for the balance of the program year.
Role of the community
Children preparing for this sacrament and their families are supported throughout this process by the prayers, example and faith of The Basilica community. In turn, our community’s faith is strengthened by the witness these children bring with them in their desire to be reconciled to God.