The Basilica of Saint Mary is a community rooted in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Our parishioners, volunteers, staff, and visitors contribute to our 150 events we host each week. As disciples of Jesus Christ we
- Practice biblical stewardship,
- Share our faith with others in word and deed,
- Pursue ecumenical and interfaith relationships,
- Extend Christian hospitality, and
- Rejoice in rich diversity.
Interested in joining our team? Please see the career opportunities below. If no positions are currently open, please consider sharing your talents with us by volunteering in our many programs and activities.
We are now hiring for the position of Director of Engagement
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Develop and implement strategies to increase parishioner engagement to advance The Basilica of Saint Mary’s mission and vision. Build awareness of volunteer leadership and participation opportunities within the parish and with community partners with leadership development as a priority.
Communicate volunteer opportunities via personal interaction, and traditional and emerging media. Utilize best practices and provide oversight and management of volunteer systems for invitation, recruitment, orientation, training, retention, and acknowledgement.
Direct efforts of staff (across departments) with responsibilities for volunteer coordination, and oversee administrative systems for volunteers and healthy relationship policies. Lead new member registration, communications, welcome and engagement activities.
SCOPE OF POSITION
· Serves as Basilica’s Safe Environment Coordinator to insure the protection of children and vulnerable adults, and assigns and directs administrative support work in this area
· Work collaboratively with Staff Directors to plan, implement, and evaluate the effectiveness and impact of engagement strategies
· Recruit, direct and supervise leadership volunteers, Cristo Rey High School and other interns and direct volunteer teams involved with welcome, volunteer management and community building responsibilities.
· Position has no direct reports.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR ACTIVITIES
1) Lead and direct volunteer engagement strategies to increase participation.
2) Communicate volunteer ministry opportunities via personal asks, as well as traditional and emerging media.
3) Facilitate and collaborate with volunteers and staff leading volunteer teams to institute best practices for invitation, orientation, training, retention, and acknowledgement.
4) Involve volunteer leaders to offer effective new member welcome and engagement activities and community building events.
5) Serve as The Basilica’s Safe Environment Coordinator.
- Five plus years of proven experience with volunteer engagement, instituting best practices, coordination and management experience in a non-profit or church setting (or comparable experience).
- Ability to relate to people of all ages and diverse backgrounds and effective interpersonal relationship building skills, and a willingness to meet people one on one and in groups.
- High energy, self starter, with a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Strong planning and organization skills with the ability to work under pressure of multiple competing priorities and successfully manage project deadlines.
- Excellent listening skills, with the ability to discern staff and volunteer gifts and needs.
- Strong computer skills with data base management experience, capable mastering new software systems quickly and training others. Experience with Blackbaud RE7 and NetCommunity software or comparable data management programs required.
- Available to work evening and weekend hours for meetings and events as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Education: College degree, or its equivalent.
Please send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume by email to Audra Johnson, Director of HR & Finance.